Tim Hortons is the most trusted corporate brand in Canada according to the Gustav Brand Index (http://www.uvic.ca/gustavson/brandtrust/index.php). According to research, Tim Hortons is significantly ahead of both other restaurants and other brands on qualities such as consistency, reliability, honesty and care, which consumers value in corporate brands.
I was not surprise to learn (or I should say, confirm) that Tim Hortons is a brand loved by most, if not all, Canadians. Some of the reasons that are most often articulated include:
– Part of the Canadian Culture (Coffee and Hockey)
– It’s not American (more specifically, it’s not Starbucks)
– The Timmis friendly experience
– Nostalgia (most of our parents drank or still drink the coffee)
– The loyalty programs (Roll up the Rim and Win)
– Community support programs (Tim Hortons Children Foundation, CAMP)
I think it’s great that we support our Canadian brands. However, I was a bit surprised to find out that quality was not at the top of the list. Are we, Canadians, that lenient on judging our brands in terms of performance?